What is self-care and why is it so important?
Self-care is an activity that you engage in to take care of yourself mentally, emotionally, and physically. Self-care is something that is easily overlooked, yet so important, so we’re going to talk about some easy ways you can practice self-care each day. Do something each day that is going to make you feel as if you are showing up as your higher self.
Self-care is anything that YOU love and want to do, this list gives a few ideas to get you started!
Go for a walk during your lunch break!
This one is super important, especially if you’re working from home. You might not realize how long you’ve been sitting until you stand up and your legs feel like they barely work! Set an alarm to take a walk during your lunch break. Take your dog, take a friend, or spend some time by yourself.
Treating yourself doesn't have to cost money (unless you want it to)! There are thousands of ways you can treat yourself, and here are a few ideas.
- Go get a mani/pedi, or you can always do one at home to save some money.
- Do some online shopping (or window shopping). Maybe look for a cute new outfit to wear, when it gets here have a little photoshoot in your outfit!
- Read your favorite book or go buy a new book but you haven't read before.
- Try a new restaurant with a friend. Or, cook yourself a restaurant-worthy meal t home.
- Buy something that you’ve always wanted to buy that you haven’t gotten a chance to.
- Rearrange your room! If this is something that brings you joy, go ahead, and do it. It may be a little time consuming, but in the end, it will make you feel even better than ever.
Clean out your closet
This one is my favorite thing to do especially since I shop a lot for clothes! Maybe after you've bought some clothes go through your closet and search for old clothes that you don't wear anymore. Once you're done and you've organized your closet you can take your clothes to a donation center to get rid of them.
Learn Something New
These are all activities you can do at home by yourself, or with a friend or family member.
- Learn a new language
- Create a new recipe that you've never made before
- Learn an instrument
- Learn how to make your Instagram look super cool
- Learn how to paint or to draw
- Learn basic car repairs
- Learn how to do yoga
- Master your public speaking skills
Take a nap or meditate
Taking a nap is one of the best things that you can do. Taking naps regularly can help reduce stress! Try to take a short 15 to 20-minute nap that way you don't sleep away your day so you can get back to your normal daily routine. If you don't feel like taking a nap you can always meditate. Here are some good apps that you can use to guide your meditation:
- Headspace: Meditation & Sleep (free)
- Calm (free)
- Mindfulness (free)
- Meditation App (free)
Happify - Not an app, but a great web source! (both free & paid versions)
Now that you’ve read this blog post, be sure to add self-care into your daily routine. Don’t forget to take some photos of you participating in some much-needed self-care and tag The Social Life!
Xx, Sydney Jeffries
West Liberty University, Chi Omega